Host an outdoor event
Host an outdoor event at Mill River Park.
With beautiful natural views and a central location in downtown Stamford, Mill River Park is the perfect venue for your private party or corporate or community event. Expand your options by renting the Brownstein / Selkowitz Carousel Pavilion and reserving adjacent tent space; or reserve green space elsewhere in the park. To get started, apply for a permit today and our event coordinators will reach out to you. A non-refundable $25 fee is due for all permit applications.
Please note, written proposals are required for large-scale events (250+ guests and/or activities that are open to the public), and must be submitted at least 90 days in advance. Learn more.
FAQs & Event Policies
Do I need to apply for a permit for my event?
Please fill out our permit application form for any of the following:
- A group activity involving 20+ people
- A planned activity for which setup is required, and/or specific space within the Park must be reserved
- A wedding ceremony
- A special event that will be open to the public, including (but not limited to): a performance, concert, fair, meeting, assembly, contest, exhibit, ceremony, parade or reading
Do I need to submit a written proposal for my event?
In addition to applying for a permit, you also need to submit a proposal for any event at which:
- Attendance is expected to exceed 250 guests
- Any type of platform, stage, or structure will be erected
- Pedestrian paths will be impacted
- A product, service, organization, etc. is being promoted
- Press participation is planned
What other documentation will I need to supply?
An event insurance policy or certificate of additional insured is required for all events, naming Mill River Park Collaborative and the City of Stamford as the insured.
How much will my park permit and site fees cost?
- A $25 non-refundable application fee is due for all permit applications. (Please note, submitting an application does not guarantee you will be granted a permit.)
- If approved, additional site fees will be assessed based on the nature of your event.
- $500 per day for events of up to 250 people, with no closure of park sections
- $2,500 per day if closure of park sections is required or equipment is brought in
- Rate varies for events of 250+ people, depending on size & type of activity
- Site fees are not refundable; however, your event may be rescheduled within the calendar year pending availability.
- Site and permit fees are applied to the park’s maintenance costs and horticultural upkeep.
Are there any other costs for an outdoor event?
- A minimum $750 cleaning bond may be required. (Bond may be higher depending on size/type of activity).
- A $250 charge per person/per day applies if park staff have to clean up after an event.
- Security bonds are refundable if participants/organizers comply in full with park rules and regulations.
Are there any restrictions for outdoor events?
The following restrictions apply for event permits:
- Permits will not be granted on holidays or holiday weekends.
- Permits are not available for the Grand Steps.
- Permits are not available for outside fundraising purposes.
- Balloons are not allowed in Mill River Park.
- PLEASE NOTE: we do not allow tents or canopies, amplified sound, generators and inflatable structures for small events without a written event proposal.